I suffer from a chronic condition known as procrastination.
Whenever I don’t want to do something (like apply for college or write scholarship essays), I bake delicious food and take hours photographing it. That’s what I did the morning I made these savory baked crepes.
And, well, I also had to make a payment, so these crepes were the perfect currency. I’d traded a younger sister for her turn with the cat the night before, so I owed her breakfast. I don’t know why we even argue about who gets to keep the cat at night, because Ralphie isn’t exactly the nicest. I awoke one night to find him biting me in the finger for no apparent reason (except that he wanted to, and in my sleep I’d done something to anger him). Another morning we woke up to the screams of one sister as Ralphie clawed at her face because he wanted to go out.
Baking with Ralphie around is ridden with other difficulties. He likes eggs. A lot. He won’t eat anything but eggs (if you offer him meat, cheese, or butter, he will turn up his nose). Whenever I crack an egg, he is there, squeaking desperately from the floor. As you can imagine, Ralphie was especially interested as I made these savory baked crepes. He about exploded.
And I admit, they were really good. Ralph had a right to feel hungry. Slightly cheesy, not too eggy, a little bit crunchy on the bottom. The perfect breakfast.
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ¾ cup cornstarch, tapioca flour, or potato starch
- Pinch salt
- Pinch ground rosemary
- Pinch ground sage
- Pinch oregano, preferably fresh
- 2¼ cups milk
- 3 eggs
- FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 1 onion
- 1 large zucchini or two small ones
- ½ teaspoon oregano, fresh or dried
- Salt, to taste
- 3 eggs
- About ¾ cup of spinach leaves
- About ½ cup grated cheese
- Stir together all of the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, stir together the milk and the eggs.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and set aside.
- Heat a 9-12 inch frying pan to just above medium heat and grease well with butter. Allow to heat completely. About now you should also buy priligy online no prescription turn on your oven at 375 degrees F.
- Pour about one third of a cup of crepe batter onto the pan and swirl around to spread the crepe as thinly as possible.
- Allow to cook about 3 minutes on the side until there is no more no raw and runny dough in the pan. Flip the crepe when the bottom is golden brown but before it has time to harden and become too stiff to fold easily. It’s kind of a science to know when exactly to flip the crepe, so it’s okay if you don’t get it right the first few tries.
- Cook about 30 seconds more after flipping, then remove from heat and put onto a plate. Repeat above steps to make more crepes, stacking onto the plate when done.
- As the crepes cook, slice the onion into thinly sliced onion ring “halves” (see picture). Put the onions on a well buttered pan at medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally. As the onions cook, grate the zucchini into long strips.
- When the onions are brown and almost done, add the grated zucchini and stir. Add a bit of oregano and salt to the onion/zucchini stir fry and stir that in, then allow to cook about 2 minutes more, until the zucchini is softened.
- Remove from heat.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat with a fork until mixed.
- Now take one of your finished crepes and place on a clean counter. Put a small bit of the zucchini/onion stir fry in the center of the crepe. Drizzle the zucchini and onions lightly with the raw beaten egg, then sprinkle on spinach leaves and a bit of grated cheese. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Fold the edges of the crepe up and press to stick. This works best when the crepe is still warm so that it slightly melts the cheese and sticks better.
- Use a spatula to carefully move the folded crepe onto a lightly greased cookie sheet (preferably one with edges in case of runoff). Repeat with other crepes until you have about 8 on the cookie sheet.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until the eggs are cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the pan and enjoy your delicious breakfast/brunch!