Hopefully one day Rebecca will have a blog of her own from which she can share her delicious paleo recipes (your truffles, please, my friend). But I couldn’t resist sharing her recipe for amazing paleo frosting here! It’s the recipe I talked about so long ago in the chocolate cupcakes post (we had a deal going: I made the cupcakes and she made the paleo frosting. We each brought our offering to events we went to, then joined the two in absolute deliciousness).
So here it is, the long awaited paleo frosting. I can testify that it is well worth the wait. Spread it on your paleo cupcakes, cakes, brownies (who said brownies can’t be frosted), cookies, and paleo chocolate rolls (recipe really really soon I promise).
- 1 cup dates
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (recommended but optional*)
- ¼ cup of cocoa or cacao (recommended but optional**)
- 3 tablespoons canned coconut milk (the firm part, not the water)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- If your dates are hard (like ours were, since they were a rather old bunch I found in the back of our cupboard), soak the dates in the ¾ cup boiling water for five minutes. Check dates for pits before using them...I usually just cut them in half before putting them in the water.
- Pour the dates and the boiling water into a food processor or vitamix (the vitamix will be faster, but the food processor works too). Add the coconut oil and the 3 tablespoons canned coconut milk. Add the salt and vanilla extract.
- Blend everything together until it becomes a smooth paste. As I said, the vitamix will be easier to do this with. If you’re using a food processor, you’ll have to scrape down the sides quite frequently.
- When a smooth paste has formed, remove from the food processor and refrigerate at least 1 hour before frosting your cake.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with shredded coconut (I prefer not to use toasted coconut for this, because the white creates a nice contrast).
**Cocoa or cacao: You can also leave the cocoa out if you can’t eat chocolate or prefer a frosting without chocolate.
Some paleo cakes and cupcakes you really need to spread this frosting onto right now: