Mom's Cream Cheese Frosting
This is my mom's frosting recipe, and it tastes perfect on almost every type of cake. Add food coloring or cocoa for variations. The picture at the side is of this frosting on the Gluten-Free Carrot Cake.
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: Enough for 1 9 inch cake or 1 dozen cupcakes
- 4 ounces, (½ a stick) cream cheese
- ¼ cup (½ a stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups powdered sugar, more or less
- ¼ cup cream, half and half, or milk
- ¼ cup cocoa (optional, use if making chocolate frosting).
- In a double boiler (see 'tips' section if you don't know what this is), melt the butter and cream cheese, the butter until it is completely melted, the cream cheese until it is soft. Beat with electric mixer, then add vanilla extract and one cup of the powdered sugar. Beat, then add another cup. If the frosting is at about the right consistency and tastes sweet enough, then don't add the remaining half a cup of powdered sugar. If you think it needs more, add the rest, and continue adding sugar until you think it is just right. Once frosting is at its perfection, you can add food coloring and cocoa if you want chocolate frosting.