Five easy steps for proofing yeast.
1. Put the warm water, warm milk, or whatever the recipe says to use when proofing the yeast into a bowl.
2. Add the sugar and the yeast, and stir until combined.
3. Place the bowl in a warm, draft-free location and let set for about fifteen minutes. I use my oven for this by turning it to WARM ten minutes ahead of time, then 2 minutes before I put the yeast in, I turn the oven off.
4. When the yeast is foamy and has risen 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, it is ‘proofed’.
5. Add the proofed yeast to the ingredients, following the instructions given in the recipe.