Hey, guess what? There’s a newer version of this recipe! Check it out here.
Chocolate Rolls are delicious. If you like chocolate, this is a great recipe for you!
I was even going to enter this recipe in the Fair last year.
You’re wondering why I didn’t?
The honest reason is that I was too late. Didn’t get the entry in in time. Sad, huh?
Well, it wasn’t so sad. Because we ate that chocolate roll. And it isn’t fun to make something delicious and give it to the judges to eat.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup dark dutch cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ cup cornstarch
- ⅛ cup rice flour
- Powdered sugar
- 1 cup frosting (see Mom's Cream Cheese Frosting if you need a recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet (with edges) with wax paper. The wax paper must be VERY WELL GREASED with butter and sprinkled with cornstarch.
- Separate the eggs. In a large bowl, beat the whites until stiff.
- In another bowl, combine the sugar, coca, and flours.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg yolks until well blended. Fold in the flour mixture and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the beaten egg whites. Evenly spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Cook for about 25 minutes on a middle or upper rack in your oven. It is extremely important that you do not burn the bottom of the roll! When you remove it from the oven, the chocolate roll should feel soft and spongy to the touch, but not undercooked.
- Turn the cake over onto a towel sprinkled with confectioner's sugar. Peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake up inside the towel. Let the cake cool completely, inside of the towl.
- Unroll the cake when completely cooled and spread with whipped cream, ice cream, or frosting (your choice). Roll it up when it is evenly spread with topping.
- Refrigerate for fifteen minutes, then leave on the counter until served. If you are not going to eat it within four hours of making it, then leave it in the refrigerator until you eat it. If you leave it in the refrigerator, it will dry out to some degree.