- 1 ½ cups cornstarch
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- ½ cup rice flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups ground or grated carrots, peeled
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease WELL two nine inch round cake pans for a two-layer cake, or a single eleven inch round cake pan. You can also use a 9 by 13 inch glass pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, oat flour, rice flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the olive oil, eggs, and sugar until well blended. Stir in the flour mix and fold in the carrots and nuts.
- Cook for forty to forty-five minutes, see 'Cake and Cupcake Tips' in the 'tips' section for checking doneness.
Mom’s Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces, (½ a stick) cream cheese
¼ cup (½ a stick) butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, more or less
1/4 cup cream, half and half, or milk
In a double boiler (see tips), melt the butter and cream cheese, the butter until it is completely melted, the cream cheese until it is soft. Beat with electric mixer, then add vanilla extract and one cup of the powdered sugar. Beat, then add another cup. If the frosting is at about the right consistency and tastes sweet enough, then don’t add the remaining half a cup of powdered sugar. If you think it needs more, add the rest, and continue adding sugar until you think it is just right. Once frosting is at its perfection, you can add food coloring if you like. If you want chocolate frosting, add a tablespoon of cocoa. Spread onto your cake, cookie, or cupcake, with a knife or small rubber spatula.
Leave a Reply