You’ve gotta have gluten free apple cobbler.
It’s just one of those necessities of life. Like chocolate or books.
I’ve been on a book marathon lately. Except not really a marathon. It’s just that sometimes I’m hungry for food and other times I have a voracious appetite for books.
I think I read three books yesterday. And after that I read a bunch of short children’s stories.
Yes, I still read children’s books. No, I’m not ashamed. And anyway, these were fairy tales, so it’s completely okay! Fairy tales are just as much of a necessity to life as apple cobbler or chocolate.
I feel myself nearing rant territory, so let’s get back to the gluten free apple cobbler.
It’s good. Sweet but not shockingly so, so you can eat it for breakfast. If you cook it long enough the apples are good and tender. The “bread” part is nice and fluffy.
So go ahead and make it. Find a nice book to read while you eat it. Maybe even drink some coffee with it even though coffee is a horrible and expensive addiction.
- 1 cup rice flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter (this is 1 stick)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 cups chopped apples
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 by 9 inch square baking pan or a pie plate with butter. Cut the apples and set them aside in a small bowl.
- Combine the cornstarch, baking powder, guar gum, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the ½ cup butter and ¼ cup honey together in the microwave or in a small saucepan on medium low.
- Pour about half of the melted butter/honey mix into the dry ingredients and set aside the remaining half. Add the milk, egg, and sour cream to the dry ingredients and butter.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour the remaining half of the honey and butter into the bowl of apples and stir.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan and dump the apples on top.
- Put in the oven and bake for around 1 hour, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.